Saturday, January 24, 2004

The 5K

It has been a week since I participated in the 5K associated with the Houston Marathon.  After the training walk the previous week and the pain in my knees, I wasn't sure how I was going to do. When the weather started looking dubious for Sunday, I really wasn't sure whether I would participate or not.  Then I get to the GRB Sunday morning and meet up with the Pearland Fit training group and I was really frustrated that I wasn't walking the half marathon with the rest of the group.  I was the only one in our group doing the 5K, but everyone was really supportive.

The weather was cool, but not really cold.  It was cloudy and there was mud around that I ended up havign to wade through.  Then the start... we head north and immediately turn east - not the most scenic part of Houston.  The sun decides to peek out and I don't have my sunglasses.  Someday I'm going to learn.  We go under a railroad crossing and as we come back up the incline, we hit the first mile marker.  By this time we've already seen the leaders on their way back.  Anyway at the Mile 1 marker, they call out my time 17:18.  But my watch shows 16:35 because the actual start line was really in front of the mat.  As we are going along, there are groups from local high schools performing and the UH band had gone forward for at least half a mile.  It made for a festive atmosphere and helped to pass the time.  Of course as we turn to head back, the sun goes behind the clouds again.  At mile 2, I had another really good time.  Mark was waiting close to the GRB at about mile 2.5.  I leave my jacket with him because by this time, I have worked up a sweat.  On through the streets in front of the GRB, then we turn into the home stretch.  As I'm heading for the finish line, the first of the half marathoners are coming in.  5K to the left, Half Marathon to the right.  There was a good crowd at the finish, cheering us on.  I ended with a surge, wanted to look really good for the finish photos.  My official time was 53:24, but my watch showed 52:22.  Never mind, both were personal records for me.  So from being afraid that I couldn't even participate the week before, I managed to exceed all of my expectations.

No comments: